Sunday 19 August 2012

I Am Knitting A Tent

I completely lost my mind and ran to the yarn store to start knitting what is really hot in Norway right now. An oversized sweater with absolutely no shape and I will probably look like a wandering tent when it is finished. I may consider knitting a sleeping bag as well.

Suddenly a lot of people empty the shelves in yarn stores to knit the sweater designed by a norwegian celebrity. She took her daughters to a breakfast show on TV to talk about her design, all dressed in the sweater, and it made people go woollen. The good thing is that people are knitting and love it.

As her daughter published the pattern on her blog it was done. Maybe we are just so tired of running around in too tight garments?

Or maybe it is just to get a feel of fame? Or maybe we are back in the 90s - when sweaters should be tents.

Who knows? I just convinced myself that I would need a large sweater for the winter.

There is something about a large coffee, cold weather and cuddling into a large sweater.

And with some knitting in the hands. At least it worked thinking that on my way to shelves filled with alpaca yarn.

As the sweater originally is knitted in another yarn than I picked, I added some more stitches. The originally yarn would have made it very warm.

The pattern is in norwegian but for a knitter this is really simple. I cast on 94 stitches and after a short rib the sweater is knitted in garter stitch.

The yarn is so soft and light - and I happen to love turquoise. I need a color I like and feel good in. So, here we go. Not that I need a new project. I am just weak and let myself lead into this. Gosh...

The Stitch Story
Yarn: Tynn Alpakka, Plum (mohair)
Needle: 6mm 
Size: Oversized
Pattern: Skappel genser
Ravelry link: Completely Oversized

26 comments:

  1. Det lyder som en god plan, jeg må forbi og se den, jeg elsker store sweatre, flot flot farve
    har heldigvis en norsk kollega hvis det går galt med forståelse–smiler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak for det Gitte!! Du kan helt sikkert forstå mønsteret!!!

      Delete
  2. Nydelig farge du har valgt! Og plum og alpakka er jo superdeilig! Tydelig at ale strikker denne genseren og det er jo gøy! Tror jeg ville laget min egen variant jeg da...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Gitte!! Skulle gjerne sett din variant!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Hihi, du klarte ikke la være;-) Den blir sikkert superdeilig, nydelig farge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, thank you, just what I needed!!!! I have ordered some great mohair yarn in several colours and needed a winter project for it.
    I have been thinking about a week what kind of sweater I wanted to crochet with it : I have found the answer right here!
    (Unfortunately my continental knitting is not that great, so I will transform it into a crochet pattern)
    Thanks for the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Vicarno!! I am happy to read that this inspired you!!!!

      Delete
  5. I love turquoise, too, and I think that color really suits you, Lone! I looked at the finished sweater on the blog--if it were a little longer it could almost be worn over tights or leggings! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debbie - I am actually hoping that I could use it that way. It would be lovely!!

      Delete
  6. Jeg har ikke fulgt helt med i timen, for det er ganske nylig jeg skjønte hva denne Skappel-genseren var for noe. Back to the 90's? Vel det er så mye annet som går i ring, så hvorfor ikke. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikke jeg heller Helle, men så det først for noen dager siden.... Ja, alt kommer tilbake. Nå mangler bare pastellfarger og permanent... He he!!

      Delete
  7. Nydelig farge og deilig garn du har valgt til "teltet" ditt! Den blir sikkert superdeilig å ha på!!:-)
    Fortsatt god søndag til deg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Britt!!! Ja, den er bare så myk og herlig. God søndag til deg også!!

      Delete
  8. ååh, ser helt underbart ut! med sån härlig färg och fint garn kan det ju inte bli annat än supermysigt ♥ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love over sized sweaters!!! They rock!!! I looked at the blog and I love the sweater! I would be wearing it everyday! Can't wait to see yours finished! Love the color you picked!! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stacy - they are so lovely to wear!!! I think I will live in this the whole winter!!

      Delete
  10. Flott farge du har plukka deg!
    Eg er også i gang - sjølv om eg hadde bestemt meg for ikkje å hoppe på dette her :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Miranne!! He he - godt at jeg ikke er alene... Lykke til!!

      Delete
  11. Lone,
    I love the color yarn you've selected for this sweater. It will be so cozy warm and perfect for winter mornings sipping on a cuppa! Look forward to seeing your reveal.
    Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen!!! Oh, I can really picture that!!!!

      Delete
  12. Hihi! Den har skapt stort oppstyr, garnbutikkene er fulle av Skappelgenserstrikkere, og det synes jeg er stas! Flere som får oppleve moroa vår!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, utrolig gøy at så mange vil strikke den. Nå ser enda flere at strikking er GØY!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment - it means a lot to me!!! Sorry about the robot words - it is due to loads of spam. Hope it is ok!!!